Gum disease is the infection and swelling of the gums cause by long-term build up of plaque and calculus (bacteria) on your teeth.
Signs of Gum Disease include:
- Red, painful, swollen gums.
- Bleeding gums when brushing your teeth.
- Persistent bad breath.
- Bad taste in the mouth.
- Shrinking gums.
- Abscesses between teeth and gums.
- Loose teeth.
It is, however, important to note that there exist a variety of risk factors that can adversely affect your chances of developing gum disease. Some of these include:
- Smoking: as one of the most significant risk factors associated with the development of gum disease, smoking can also significantly reduce the odds of successful gum disease treatment.
- Hormonal changes: typically affecting females, these particular changes can make gums more sensitive – thus, making it easier for gingivitis to develop.
- Diabetes: sufferers are found to have a greater likelihood of developing infections – this includes gum disease. Genetic susceptibility can also mean some individuals are more prone to severe gum disease than others.
- Medications: numerous over the counter and prescription medications can significantly reduce the flow of saliva within the mouth, negating its protective effects. This makes the mouth more vulnerable to infections such as gum disease.
Gum Disease Treatment:
At Newnham Family Dental, Our dentists are more than capable of providing you with the general dental care solutions you need in order to effectively fight gum disease. Plaque and calculus are removed from the surface of your teeth both above and underneath the gums. This is usually done in two visits for your comfort. It is especially important to maintain good oral hygiene after treatment to prevent further damage from occurring. Regular check-up and cleans is recommended.