Wisdom Teeth Extraction Mount Gravatt
Wisdom teeth can cause problem for people of all ages, but generally they are most problematic when they usually erupt at the age of 19 to 23.
Wisdom teeth extraction is recommended due to a number of reasons:
- Wisdom teeth may become trapped at an awkward angle which can lead to crowding, infection, bone damage or cyst.
- Your wisdom teeth may act as a food trap, causing bad breath and infected gums.
- Impacted wisdom teeth can cause damage to the other nearby teeth.
Your dentist will advise you if your wisdom teeth are going to cause potential problems.
Wisdom teeth removal procedure:
An OPG X-ray will be taken first to examine the risk involved in removing the wisdom teeth. Wisdom Teeth extractions are done under local anaesthetic or general anaesthetics to help minimise any discomfort during the procedure. The dentist will then push away the gum tissue and loosen the tooth. Then the tooth could either be removed in sections or as a whole. Your gum tissue is then closed together with dissolvable stitching to assist in quicker recovery.
Following wisdom extraction, minor discomfort and swelling is expected. It will take a few days to recover and so it is best to follow these helpful tips to a more comfortable recovery:
- Avoid excessive physical activity for several days.
- Eat soft food and nothing too hot or cold.
- Continue to gently brush and floss your teeth.
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke for at least 24 hours after surgery.
- Use ice packs to reduce swelling and pain.
- Rest at home.
- When lying down, prop your head with pillows to reduce potential bleeding.